Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Why is Learning Science Important?

As I am sure many teachers do, I hear my students ask all the time why they need to know what I am teaching.  They do not like the foundation analogy:  Just like when building a house, the foundation must be stable.  If it is a good foundation, then other things can be built on top and it will hold.  If the foundation is cracked or incomplete, when other things attempt to be built on top, they will fall.

What I am thinking about doing at the beginning of the year is having the students make a poster for what they want to be when they grow up.  Then, they will identify why they will need what they are learning in my class for the year in their future careers.  I am hoping that this will help with questions about why they need to learn what I am teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment