Monday, July 1, 2013

Getting Started

Hi!  I am a seventh grade science teacher in South Carolina, and I am about to begin my third year of teaching.

I am starting this blog to share my ideas on inquiry in the science classroom.  I am also starting science notebooks this year and will be sharing ideas about those as well.

A little background:

  • I graduated from the University of South Carolina Upstate in 2011.
  • My husband and I will be celebrating our first year anniversary later this month.
  • I have the cutest little kitten, Cubbie, who is named for the Chicago Cubs.
  • My husband and I are HUGE Chicago sports fans (Cubs, Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks) and Notre Dame fans.
I am currently planning for the beginning of next school year, and after spending two weeks at an Inquiry Institute through USC, I am very eager to incorporate all that I have learned.

In South Carolina, seventh grade students learn about cells, cellular processes, microbes, heredity, human body systems, ecology, and chemistry.  The T. I. P. S. Inquiry Institute was for chemistry, and at my school, we do not teach chemistry until the end of the year.  I am determined to include inquiry in the majority, if not all, of my lessons.  I know that starting off will be difficult, but I am confident that by the end of the year, my students and I will have learned a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment